Saint Michael the Archangel church, in its current stone building of Gothic architecture designed for the stature of a cathedral and covering 2,000 square meters, was opened for its first Mass in 1909 and completed by 1922, under the supervision of Bishops James Rogers, Thomas Francis Barry, and Patrice-Alexandre Chiasson for the then-Diocese of Chatham.
When the episcopacy of Patrice-Alexandre Chiasson was transferred to Bathurst on May 15, 1939, Saint Michael the Archangel church was no longer the cathedral. The Miramichi area was transferred into the Diocese of Saint John. On January 28, 1989, an application to the Vatican under Pope John Paul II raised the Saint Michael the Archangel Church to the dignity of a minor basilica, with all the rights and liturgical privileges by which properly belong to sacred edifices distinguished by the basilica title.
Location: 10 Howard Street, Miramichi, NB E1N 0C4